In the modern world, there are more methods than ever before to use and enjoy both medical marijuana and recreational cannabis. As well as the classic methods like blunts, joints, and pipes, cannabis enthusiasts can also make use of vaporizer devices like a marijuana vape pen or cannabis vape pen to enjoy cannabis oils and products in a completely unique way.
What Are Vaporizers?
If you haven’t vaped before or are relatively new to the concept of vaporizer devices, you might have some questions like “What exactly is a marijuana vape pen?” and “How does a cannabis vape pen work?” So let’s begin with a simple vaporizer definition to help you understand what these devices are and what they do.
In simple terms, a vaporizer, which can also be referred to as a vape or a vape pen, is a heating device that can be used to consume cannabis, as well as other products. As the name implies, vaporizers have the power to “vaporize” cannabis by heating it to a very high temperature, without the need for any combustion, flames, or smoke.
Vaporizers can come in various forms, sizes, and shapes, but they all have the same basic purpose: to transform cannabis and its key ingredients, like cannabinoids and terpenes, into a vapor that can be inhaled smoothly into the lungs of the user.
How Do Cannabis Vape Pens Work?
So how does a cannabis vape pen actually work to provide you with a smokeless and combustion-free way to consume marijuana? Well, vaporizer devices are designed to be able to heat cannabis to a temperature of around 356 to 374 degrees Fahrenheit (180 to 190 in Celsius), which is just below the combustion point.
At this point, the cannabis products, such as marijuana oil or cannabis flower, begin to vaporize. The cannabinoids, like THC and CBD, become activated and turn to vapor, flowing through the chamber of the vaporizer and out of the device, into the user’s mouth and lungs.
When it comes to how to use a marijuana vape pen, all the user usually has to do is insert a cartridge or add the cannabis oil to the receptacle area and then use simple buttons to start the vaporizing process. Some devices are quite simple, with one-button systems to start and stop. Others are more complex, with precise temperature controls, timers, and other features.
Different Kinds of Vapes
There is a wide range of different types of vapes and vaporizer devices to choose from. Each type of vape has its own unique features, pros, and cons.
As the name implies, a desktop vaporizer is quite a large vape device that is designed to be positioned on a desk or other flat surface. These vaporizers are best used at home, as they’re not particularly portable. They are, however, quite powerful, usually being fitted with their own fans or internal heating systems. This means that they usually need to be plugged in while in use in order to have sufficient power to function.
Portable Dry Herb Vaporizers
As the “portable” part of the name suggests, these types of vaporizers are more compact and transportable than their desktop counterparts, so they’re made to be carried around from place to place and used in different locations, like at home or on the go. They’re mainly used for vaping flowers, but can be used with other types of products too.
Vape pens are a specific type of portable vaporizer that are designed to resemble pens. They’re super small, discreet, and highly portable too, perfect for taking along on journeys and slipping into pockets or bags on your travels. There are three main varieties of vape pens to choose from:
- Disposable Pens – With a disposable pen, the device has been prepared with a set amount of oil and is ready to use right out of the box. Once the oil has been used up, the pen can be disposed of. It’s not possible to refill or reuse these types of pens, so they’re not the most eco-friendly option, but they’re good for testing the waters of vaping or for using while on vacation, for example.
- Disposable Cartridge Pens – With a disposable cartridge THC vape pen, there are two main pieces: the cartridge (which contains the oil to be vaped) and the battery. The battery is permanent and can be reused, but the cartridges are disposable and have to be replaced when they’re drained.
- Refillable Cartridge Pens – This type of vape pen is similar to the disposable cartridge model, with the key difference being that the user can refill the individual marijuana vape cartridge with fresh cannabis oil and other products, so you don’t have to throw them away when the oil inside has been used up.
What You Need to Know About Vaping Cannabis
We’ve covered the basics of how a cannabis vape pen works and what vaporizer devices do, but you may still have several questions about vaping cannabis, such as “What are the effects of vaping marijuana?” and “Is it better to vape or smoke cannabis?” In this section, we’ll look at answers to some of the most commonly-asked questions on the subject.
Does Vaping Get You Higher Than Smoking?
Usually, yes, you’ll feel a more potent and intense high when vaping marijuana as compared to smoking it. Scientists have been studying this subject in recent years and found that there are various reasons why vaping weed leads to a stronger high. The main reason is that vaping is usually done with concentrated marijuana in the form of oils, resulting in higher concentrations of cannabinoids like THC, which causes a high sensation.
Given that vaping doesn’t involve any kind of combustion or extra materials or toxins, it also results in what many cannabis enthusiasts call a “cleaner” high. This is because, when you smoke a joint, the combustion process results in a lot of the cannabinoids and terpenes being burned up and not used to their full potential.
With vaporization, the cannabinoids and terpenes are fully activated, with higher bio-availability and more potent effects in your system. In simple terms, this means that when you vape, more of the cannabinoids like THC enter your system and take effect compared to when you smoke. However, the effects of vaping are generally said to wear off more quickly than with smoking.
The Benefits of Vaping Cannabis
So why do people choose to vape cannabis concentrate and THC oil as opposed to smoking blunts and joints? Well, there are actually several benefits to be enjoyed when you use a vaporizer pen to vape cannabis:
- Smoke-Free – As explained earlier on, the key difference between smoking and vaping is that vaping doesn’t produce any smoke, as there isn’t any combustion involved in the process. This is a big benefit, as it means you don’t have to worry about any smoke in the area while vaping, nor do you need to worry about the potential dangers of inhaling smoke into your lungs.
- Potentially Safer – There are some studies and reports that suggest that vaping may be safer than smoking too. More research is needed on this subject, but when it comes to a direct comparison between smoking joint and vaporizing cannabis, smokers inhale more chemicals and toxins than vapers, so could be at greater risk of negative side effects.
- Discretion – Devices like vape pens and portable vaporizers also have the advantage of discretion, so if you want to vape some cannabis oil or other marijuana products while out and about, it’s easier and simpler to do so with a vape pen than rolling a joint or preparing a blunt, and you won’t be as visible or identifiable while doing so.
- Control – Vaporizer devices also offer the user a greater level of control over their experiences. With certain vape pens and advanced vaporizers, you get to choose the exact degree at which the device heats up, giving you total control over how you vape cannabis concentrate and oils. With blunts and joints, you don’t get that same level of precision and control.
Vaping vs Smoking
There are lots of discussions and debates on the matter of smoking vs vaping in terms of which method is better, safer, and more enjoyable for the typical cannabis connoisseur. Both methods have their pros and cons and unique features, and a lot of people are starting to choose vaping over smoking, due to the benefits listed above.
With vaping, you get the advantages of discretion, control, and a potentially safer experience too. Smoking may be seen as a more traditional method for consuming cannabis, which can appeal to certain people, and it can offer a longer-lasting high too, as well as a faster-acting high, but it does have some possible downsides like the fact that the combustion process causes smoke and toxins.
How to Choose the Right Vaporizer for You
If you’re interested in giving vaporization a try for yourself, you’ll need to invest in your own vape device. There are several key factors to take into account when choosing a vaporizer, and it’s important to think about your own specific desires and preferences in order to find the right model to meet your needs:
- Type – As discussed above, there are several different types of vaporizers. You need to think carefully about what sort of model you want, based on how you plan to use it. If you want to do most of your vaping at home, a desktop or tabletop vaporizer could be perfect for you. But if you plan to vape on the go, a portable vape pen might be a better choice.
- Ease of Use – You also need to think about the ease of use of your vaporizer. If you’re a total beginner to the world of vaping, it’s good to start out with a simple, beginner-friendly vape pen that has just one or two buttons and a really basic, entry-level design. If you’re a more advanced vape enthusiast, you can choose a more advanced model.
- Features – It’s also a good idea to look at the features of your chosen vaporizer and check that it has all you need to enjoy the best vaping experiences. Different vaporizers can have a wide range of features. Some have a small list of features, but others offer precise controls, timers, and the ability to vape multiple products, like vape juice and e liquid, in addition to cannabis oil.
- Price – Don’t forget to think about the price as well. Vape pens and devices can have a huge range of price tags, with disposable vape pens typically being some of the cheapest models and high-end vaporizers with advanced features usually coming with much bigger price tags. You’ll need to find one that suits your budget.
The Difference Between Vape Pens and Dab Pens
Vape pens can vary in size and design, but they typically have the following components:
- Mouthpiece – This is where you place your lips around the pen and inhale the vapor.
- Cartridge – This part holds the liquid, juice, or oil.
- Heating Element/Atomizer – This is the part that heats up the oil into vapor.
- Processor – Vape pens usually have a microprocessor that is responsible for triggering the healing process when the button is pressed.
- Battery – The battery is the power source of the vape pen, providing the energy needed to heat your cannabis products.
- Buttons/Controls – Vape pens usually have one or more buttons or controls that the user can use to start and stop heating and vaping.
Anatomy of a Vape Pen
As well as vape pens, you may also have heard about dab pens. These devices look similar but have different purposes. Vape pens are designed to work with oils and similar products, whereas dab pens are designed for use with cannabis concentrates, waxes, and similar substances.
Vape pens are for vaping, while dab pens are for dabbing. Dab pens are therefore able to reach much higher temperatures and function in a different way to vape pens, using conduction heating to directly vaporize small quantities of cannabis concentrates, while vape pens use convective heating to vaporize oils and liquids.
Where to Buy Marijuana Vape Pens in Los Angeles, California
Happy Leaf Collective offers a wide variety of cannabis vapes in Los Angeles, California. Check out our menu to find the perfect product for you.
Green Dragon crafts premium CO2 oils and distillates for cannabis aficionados looking for a potent vape experience. Green Dragon vape oils are 100% Strain Specific, containing Real Cannabis Terpenes (RCT).
Avita vape products are produced from their responsibly-farmed cannabis plants, using all-natural extraction methods. Their vape oils are extracted from cannabis strains hand-selected for superior flavor, aroma, and cannabinoid profiles.
Orchid products are handcrafted and designed for the best flavor and enjoyment. Their high-quality reputation culminates in Orchid Gold, their premium live resin vape cartridge.
O.pen offers a wide range of rechargeable cannabis vape products for both medicinal and recreational users, providing a consistent and safe cannabis experience for everyone.
Elysium offers strain-specific live resin cartridges that preserve the distinct terpene profile of each strain. This is paired with a potent distillate for an unparalleled vaping experience.
With a clear mission to Make Smoking History, NJOY offers a range of e-cigarettes and vaping devices for the millions of adult smokers looking for an alternative.
Hellavated offers a wide range of premium vape carts, disposable vape pens, and specialty vape pods. Their vape products are sold in a variety of potencies to suit any preference and tolerance level.
Pax Pods PAX delivers a curated set of pure full flavor pods and award-winning cannabis vaping devices that make enjoying cannabis simple and safe. PAX creates next-generation devices that deliver lasting quality through innovations in design and technology, and remain trusted by millions of consumers nationwide.
Bloom Brand are self-confessed cannabis snobs, dedicated to curating only the finest strains into the healthy and accessible format of vaping. Their passion translates to unmatched flavor profiles and product quality.
Buddies™ is a West Coast cannabis brand rooted in years of experience cultivating and processing cannabis. Their cannabis vape products include vape cartridges, all-in-one vapes, and specialty pods.
RĒL vape cartridges deliver superior flavor, potency, and a reliable experience every time. Their concentrate oils are extracted using high-tech methods to maximize the bio-availability of THC and CBD compounds.
Cliq is the culmination of years of research and development to combine their renowned Elite oil with an intelligently designed vape delivery system. The result is a pairing of the best in both vape technology and premium oil extraction methods.
Care By Design
Care By Design offers vape oils containing full-spectrum extracts in six ratios of CBD to THC content. As a result, users can find the perfect potency and effects they are looking for and create their ideal experience.
With over 15 years of experience, DNA Genetics is one of the most recognized and leading brands for cannabis in the world today. Their vape oils are produced from hand-selected crops of premium strains.
Eureka provides naturally grown and extracted vape oils that retain the full flavor and potency of popular strains. Their oils are always solvent-free and do not contain MCT, PG, VG, or Vitamin E Acetate.