How Many Strains of Marijuana Are There?
Cannabis has finally overcome the bad image it had for decades without a valid reason. More states and countries legalize marijuana every day, and this plant has never been this accessible to common users. Have you ever wondered how many different strains of marijuana are there? Our guide will discuss the main types and even recommend the best options to try for newbies and experienced users!
What Are Cannabis Strains?
Cannabis is a plant whose origin we can trace back to Asia. As time passed, people moved it to other continents. Today, you’ll find marijuana is grown in different parts of the world. The plant changed due to climate, growers’ habits, and needs. It’s how we got cannabis strains that we can acquire and try today.
How Many Strains of Marijuana Are There?
If you are wondering how many strains of marijuana are there, the experts suggest around 780. It’s hard to keep exact track because growers keep experimenting by creating new hybrids. We can see more new strains than the one whose production stops. It’s because growers look to discover new strains that deliver unique flavors and effects.
Types of Strains
While there are many different strains of marijuana available, we can categorize them all into three classes:
- Sativa. It grows in dry and hot climates. Cannabis sativa is a thin and tall plant with leaves that remind you of fingers.
- Indica. It’s native to Turkey and Pakistan. Cannabis indica adapted to harsh climates. It has broader and chunkier leaves, while the plant is shorter than Sativa.
- Hybrid. People combine multiple strains to develop cannabis hybrids. The plant’s appearance varies depending on its parents. They are suitable for growing in greenhouses and farms.
- Cannabis ruderalis is another type that grows in the Himalayas and Eastern Europe. However, it doesn’t have potent effects, and it doesn’t attract much attention.
How to Choose a Strain
With hundreds of strains available, it solely depends on your preference. Here are the main considerations:
- THC and CBD quantity. THC provides that euphoric feeling with its psychedelic properties. CBD often works to provide anxiety relief and has a relaxation effect.
- Ways of consuming it. You can pick from smoking and vaping, but also try edibles and other different cannabis products available.
- Taste and smell. Cannabis strains could have different odors and flavors, so pick one that suits your preference.
- Other benefits. Some strains focus on boosting your appetite, and others promote sleep quality. You use some strains to boost concentration and others to improve creativity. It all depends on what you expect from the plant.
Different Types of Strains
It’s not easy to navigate your way through so many marijuana strains. But, that’s why our experts singled out the top options in every category!
Top 10 Sativa Strains
So, what are the different strains of marijuana where Sativa dominates? Here is our selection of top choices:
- Jack Herrer
- The name is a way to honor the famous author. As for the plant, Sativa dominates, and this strain is suitable for mild anxiety and stress relaxation.
- Shoguns were rulers in ancient Japan. As for the Sativa strain, it will boost your mood and euphoria.
- The strain of interesting name offers 27% THC. The huge amount secures fast and long-lasting euphoria.
- Amnesia Mac Ganja
- It’s more famous than AMG. The THC content is only 22%, and it offers an earthy and spicy flavor.
- Durban Poison
- The name indicates the strain originated in South Africa. It’s for experienced users since it hits heavily, but it can be what creative persons need for inspiration.
- It’s another strong strain that uplifts your body and boosts your alertness. Trainwreck is so strong you should be careful about the dose you take.
- Maui Wowie
- We trace its roots to Hawaii, and you’ll love the pineapple flavor offered. The strain is an excellent fit for smokers.
- Strawberry Cough
- It has a low amount of CBD, but the THC content is enough to boost your mood.
- Lucid Blue
- If you want to feel more focused, this strain offers the right balance of CBD and THC.
- Sour Breath
- Beginners will appreciate this strain since it doesn’t have vast amounts of THC or CBD. It’s great if you are only entering the world of cannabis.
Top 10 Indica Strains
As for Indica strains, these are very popular nowadays:
- Cherry Pie
- Indica dominates this hybrid strain that is a popular medical marijuana option. It can help with stress, chronic pain, PTSD, etc.
- OG Kush
- It’s another hybrid where India dominates. OG Kush can numb you, and its calming effects can promote sleep quality.
- The inspiration came from the famous candy. It makes sense since this strain can boost your appetite.
- GMO cookies
- The abbreviation stands for garlic, mushrooms, and onions. This strain is famous for its high THC content and specific smell.
- This strain proved to be an excellent choice for those who need a pain reliever. It’s suitable for everything from nerve pain to migraine.
- Bubba Kush
- Some say it’s more potent than a tranquilizer. If you have problems sleeping, it will calm you down.
- Northern Lights
- The main aim of this strain is to provide relaxation. That applies to both the mind and the body, which ensures a goodnight’s sleep.
- Granddaddy Purple
- It has unique purple buds, which make it visually attractive. The strain provides a decent relaxation effect, perfect for evening use.
- Forbidden Fruit
- The flower looks beautiful, but it’s also potent. It has a tropical aroma and can deliver euphoric and relaxing effects combined.
- It’s an abbreviation for Indica Crystal Extreme. The strain has a strong taste and hits heavily, which makes it unsuitable for newbies.
- Cherry Pie
Top 10 Hybrid Strains
Hybrid strains don’t necessarily need a 1:1 ratio of Indica and Sativa. The only requirement is that no type is dominant. Check out the top hybrid strains currently available:
- If you are looking for anxiety relief, you can’t go wrong with Cannatonic. It offers balanced content of Indica and Sativa and a strong CBD content.
- The name indicates otherwise, but this strain is mild. It has a floral, spicy flavor and a fast flowering time when grown indoors.
- LA Confidential
- This hybrid strain is famous for its strength because it has high THC levels. It’s not easy to grow, but potency makes it worthwhile.
- Strawberry Banana
- If you like the fruity flavor, this strain is a wise pick. It has 70% India and strong THC content.
- Chiquita Banana
- The strain got many awards, but it’s not the best choice for beginners. It features a generous THC amount that delivers a strong and fast euphoric hit.
- Growers appreciate that this plant flowers in only eight weeks. It’s an Indica-dominant strain that provides a relaxation effect.
- White Widow
- Growers picked the name to indicate its strength. The strain will relax you but still allow focusing on creativity and other activities.
- Blue Dream
- It has been a user favorite for a long time because it can improve focus and energy when you have a long day ahead of you.
- Sour Diesel
- You can grow this hybrid indoors. It promotes anxiety and stress relief while offering a euphoric high.
- Larry Bird Kush
- Basketball fans will appreciate the name. As for the effectiveness, it offers a high THC – low CBD combo.
If you feel lost with the variety of marijuana strains available, don’t worry, you can always consult with the friendly staff in our Los Angeles dispensary to find the strain that is best for you.