It’s the holidays! Your home is filled with excitement and anticipation. Sweet smells of vanilla, cinnamon, and evergreen fills the air. Cookies, candies, and pies are being made and put away, waiting for their special day. One more cooking project needs to be done. A gingerbread house! You don’t need a ton of experience in the kitchen to create your own. Here’s our simple version of a gingerbread house recipe, with a twist.
You enjoy the health and recreational benefits of a bit of marijuana now and then. This year, you want to upgrade yours to a weed gingerbread house. There are a few different ways you can do this. You can make it from a pre-assembled kit or bake it from scratch. Whichever way you choose, you can add your own weed, or use cannabis products from a Los Angeles dispensary.
Here’s a simple recipe on how to make a gingerbread house from scratch!
Ingredients for the Gingerbread:
- 2 eggs
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 ounces cannabis-infused butter
- 1 ½ cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 350 °
- Grease cookie sheets.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients- ground ginger, ground cloves, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, blend the eggs, both kinds of butter, dark brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla thoroughly
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Mix well. Slowly add the flour to the mixture. Knead until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and let the dough warm up to room temperature.
- Roll out on floured parchment paper.
- Use cardboard templates for the design- front, back, side-walls, and roof.
- Place on cooking sheets. Cook large pieces for 10 to 15 minutes. Small portions for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove gingerbread when it’s a golden brown. Let cool slightly and cut out windows, doors, or other designs. Be creative, but don’t put too many holes in the walls and roof. You don’t want them to be too weak and collapse when you try to assemble the project.
- Use melted white chocolate or royal icing to “glue” your house together.
- Royal Icing is a thick, glue-like substance that is ideal for a gingerbread house.
Ingredients for the royal icing:
- 1 pound sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1 to 2 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon of cream of tartar
- In a large bowl, combine all three ingredients.
- Using a mixer, beat on high 7 to 10 minutes. The consistency should be thick, smooth, and hold a peak.
- Royal icing dries out quickly. Cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the wrap touches the frosting to keep the top from becoming hard.
- Once your gingerbread house is assembled, it’s time to get creative! Decorate with cannabis-infused candies using the royal icing or white chocolate to attach to the gingerbread.
Your weed gingerbread house is done!
For a quick gingerbread house recipe, use store-bought items. Assemble graham crackers or boxed gingerbread mix for the walls and roof. Use store-bought white chocolate or royal frosting to hold it together.
Guide to Cannabis Edibles
Foods with marijuana in them have the potential to be stronger than smoking or vaping. Here’s a quick guide to cannabis edibles.
If you are making your own cannabis-infused foods or drinks, use small amounts of weed. Blend the mixture thoroughly to even out the cannabis as much as possible. Food infused with marijuana can be tricky. Some portions may have more weed than others. One bite can get you higher than another!
Your best bet is to buy commercially prepared edibles. Especially products that can be cut into small portions. Take a bite. Wait a couple of hours to see how it affects you. Then have more. Whether you made the food or bought it, you’re not going to feel the effects right away. Generally, cannabis-infused foods take approximately two hours to give you high.
If you are sharing with others, be cautious. Each person will react to foods with weed differently. Make sure you are all in a safe environment and aren’t going to need to drive. Enjoy, but be smart. Be safe.
Cannabis-infused candies (store-bought or homemade) great for decorating your gingerbread house include gumdrops, candy canes, peppermint candies, sprinkles, candy bars, candy wafers, and more. Use your imagination and go wild. There’s a wide variety of sweets and cookies that would be amazing to decorate with. Don’t forget the gingerbread man cookies!
Following our simple gingerbread house recipe, you’ll be on your way to a weed-tastic decoration for your home. Now that you know, you can teach your friends how to make gingerbread house projects infused with cannabis.