Cannabis-Infused Salted Popcorn for National Popcorn Day
Who doesn’t love to indulge in a snack every now and then, or daily! Snacks are a handful of fun for in-between meals, on-the-go, or while watching your favorite ball game. Bite-sized is the best. Crunchy, chewy, or melt-in-your-mouth, they come in a wide variety of foods. One much-loved snack is popcorn. With flavors like jalapeno, caramel, and sea salted, each bite is a little piece of spicy, sweet, salty perfection.
You can celebrate your love of popcorn on National Popcorn Day. The origins of the celebration are as murky as the date. The exact day to honor this fan-favorite snack is a bit of a debate. Some believe the date is January 19th. Others are persistent National Popcorn Day should be honored on the same day as the biggest game of football, the Super Bowl.
Whichever day you pick, there are a wide variety of flavors to satisfy your taste buds. How about, you don’t have to choose one day over the other, enjoy the taste of National Popcorn Day on both days! What better way to up your popcorn game on this special occasion than with cannabis-infused salted popcorn!
Adding marijuana to make cannabis popcorn, or potcorn is easy. Instead of regular butter, you can coat your fluffy white kernels with cannabutter to make it into marijuana popcorn. cannabis-infused butter is a simple way to make your potcorn. Here is a cannabis butter recipe even a novice in the kitchen can create.
National Popcorn Day is one of the most beloved events in Los Angeles and If you are there, you can visit a Los Angeles marijuana dispensary to buy necessary products to make the best marijuana popcorn ever.
Before you start any marijuana recipe, it’s a must to decarboxylate your marijuana. This is known as decarbing. By baking your cannabis at a low temperature, you are releasing essential compounds from the buds, including THC and CBD. THC is the component that gives you the high. CBD has 0.3 % or less of THC. It can’t cause a high at that level. When using in potcorn or other marijuana products, THC vs. CBD depends on if you are looking for a high or just the health benefits of CBD.
Decarbing your marijuana:
- Preheat oven to 220° F
- Spread about ½ ounce of finely chopped marijuana evenly onto a baking sheet or in a glass baking dish
- Bake for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, occasionally turning to prevent burning
The process is done when the buds have turned from a bright green to a darker brownish-green
Here’s a simple cannabutter recipe:
- 1 ½ cup water
- 8 ounces melted butter of your choice
- ½ ounce decarboxylated marijuana
- You’ll also need a medium saucepan, a wooden spoon, a cooking thermometer, cheesecloths, and a container for your butter.
- Place the water and butter in the medium pan and cook over very low heat
- When the butter has melted, add your decarbed marijuana.
- Mix well and gently simmer for approximately four hours, stirring frequently
- Make sure the mixture doesn’t exceed 180 ° F
- When the mixture has simmered for four hours, remove from heat and carefully strain through the cheesecloth into a container.
Cannabis-infused salted popcorn recipe:
You’ll need a medium-sized pan, and a large bowl.
- Popcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon oil of your choice (Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, grapeseed, safflower oil are all excellent choices.)
- Cannabis-infused butter
- Regular butter or margarine
Make the desired amount of popcorn. ½ cup of kernels makes approximately 15 cups of popcorn (about 6 to 7 servings). There are several ways to make popcorns, including with an air-popper, regular popcorn maker, in the microwave, or on the stovetop.
- For stovetop popcorn, add a tablespoon of oil in a medium pan.
- Place two to three kernels in the oil. When those kernels have popped, the pan is ready.
- Add enough kernels to form a single, loose layer on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the pan with a well-fitting lid. When you hear popping, gently move the pan back and forth over the burner.
- When the popping becomes sporadic, remove the pan from the heat and let sit for a minute.
- Pour the cooked popcorn in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the pan on the stove over low heat.
- Add your desired amount of cannabutter and regular butter.
- When the butter is melted, remove from heat and slowly pour over the cooked popcorn. Stir the kernels to coat evenly.
- Salt your marijuana popcorn to taste and enjoy!
When making your cannabis popcorn or any edibles, use a light hand when adding marijuana. The effects won’t hit you right away. Generally, it can take up to two hours to feel the high from an edible. You can purchase CBD and marijuana products at your local marijuana store, or dispensary.