Cannabis For Pain: The Best Strains for Pain Relief
The pain-relieving properties of marijuana are well-known. It can help with everything from a bad pack to recurring headaches, and people have been using cannabis for pain in their bodies for thousands of years.
But have you ever stopped to think about the science of medical cannabis for pain and how this plant really works to soothe the sensation of pain?
Well, in this guide, we’ll be taking an in-depth exploration of cannabis pain relief to see how it really works at a cellular level, as well as highlighting some of the top strains to choose from if you’re seeking CBD pain relief.
How Cannabis Relieves Pain
So, what is it that makes cannabis pain relief so effective? Well, scientific research has shown that certain key compounds – or cannabinoids – within the cannabis plant matter are responsible for its powerful pain management powers.
Specifically, THC and CBD for pain relief are two of the top cannabinoids. When these compounds are consumed or inhaled into the body, they are able to interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system and stimulate certain receptors, leading to a reduction in pain sensations.
However, there are different varieties of pain, and cannabis can work differently for each variety. Here’s a quick breakdown of how it works for nociceptive, neuropathic, and central pain.
Nociceptive pain, or inflammatory pain, usually comes in the form of sharp aches or throbs, and it’s caused by direct damage or injury to bodily tissue. As the body tries to repair the damage, various chemicals are released that trigger the pain sensation. Cannabinoids like THC and CBD can reduce this through their anti-inflammatory properties, calming the site of the injury.
Next, we have neuropathic pain, which is pain caused by damage to the nervous system, often through diseases like MS or Parkinson’s. It’s very hard to treat, but CBD for pain relief can be effective. CBD can target certain receptors in the body to essentially weaken or lessen the pain signals passing through the nerves.
Cannabis for pain relief can also be used for so-called “central” pain, which is a form of pain that scientists are still trying to learn about. Associated with conditions like fibromyalgia, this type of pain is vague and hard to define. However, studies have shown that cannabis use and CBD pain relief have proven effective in providing some relief to patients with chronic central pain conditions.
Best Strains for Pain Relief
There are lots of different types of cannabis strains out there, usually divided into the following three groups: Indica, Sativa and Hybrid. But which one is best for pain relief? Well, that will depend on what kind of pain and discomfort you’re experiencing.
Here are some examples of specific cannabis strains that have proven effective for handling pain:
- White Widow – The White Widow strain has high amounts of THC and low CBD. It can help you feel energized and creative, while also soothing recurring pains like headaches.
- Blueberry – Blueberry has even more THC per gram than White Widow. It’s really effective at soothing pain physical pain and mental anguish in the form of stress and anxiety.
- OG Kush – A famous strain, OG Kush has high levels of THC to soothe pain in the head and body, along with a pleasant woody smell. It’s also affordable and accessible.
- Northern Lights – This strain has high amounts of THC to provide euphoric and happy emotions, and it’s also good for getting rid of feelings of stress.
- ACDC – The ACDC strain is one of the top options for pain management. It has high CBD levels and low THC, providing soothing relief without any high-like feelings.
- Cannatonic – Cannatonic has around twice as much CBD as THC. It can offer powerful pain relief but may also make you a little sleepy.
- Sour Diesel – This colorful strain is popular among medicinal marijuana users for being able to dull or weaken bodily aches, while also providing a strong high.
What Kind of Cannabis to Buy for Pain?
Since there are so many strains out there, as well as different types of pain, you might not know which type to buy from a cannabis store near you. Well, in general, it’s important to focus on high-quality products and always check the CBD/THC ratio so you know what to expect.
Remember, high THC strains can be really effective for pain relief, but will also cause you to feel high, while CBD-heavy strains don’t have the same psychoactive properties. Contact us for more information if you have any questions.
Synthetic and Medicinal Cannabis
As well as traditional medical cannabis – cannabis that has been approved by the FDA for medical usage – there is also synthetic cannabis, like K2 and Spice. Such forms of cannabis are not approved by leading authorities and are not recommended for medical use. If you’re looking for effective pain relief, traditional medical cannabis is the way to go.
Marijuana has been proven to be one of the most effective natural remedies for pain management, helping countless people around the globe to lead more comfortable lives, even when dealing with chronic conditions, recurring migraines, and other painful problems. If you’re suffering from repeated pain, medical cannabis could help.